Saturday, January 28, 2012

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

I've never really minded to grocery shop but now that we have a few more options other than Wal-Mart I have started to really enjoy it actually.  Target,Wal-Mart and The Fresh Market are probably my most frequently shopped places for food however we have also been going to Aldi and most recently Elbert's for some things.  While I wish I could buy all of my grocery's at places like the The Fresh Market and Elbert's financially it's sorta not realistic but when it comes to meat and produce I don't care to spend a little extra.  I rarely eat meat other than turkey and chicken but since Johnny and I have been married I have learned to give a little in that area if we get "good" meat:) So after all of that  babble about grocery shopping I have a super yummy and healthy recipe for you to try: Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.  I have made these before with brown rice (which you can do) but I am trying to use more quinoa so I substituted it here!  This recipe makes either 2 main dishes or 4 side dishes.
You will need...
1/2 lb ground beef or turkey
2 bell peppers (choose any color)
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 can rotel
1 medium diced onion
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, basil to taste

Now you are ready to start cooking!
Preheat your oven to 350

Start by cooking your meat and quinoa (follow the box instructions) and start a pot of water to boil your peppers in shortly..
Cut your peppers in half, scrape out seeds and slip them into the pot of hot water and keep them in there for about 5 min (if your want the peppers to be extra soft wait until the water is boiling to put them in)


When your peppers are soft set them in a baking dish.
Your meat should be done so set it aside in a bowl. 
Chop your onion and cook it with garlic until soft.

When soft add meat, rotel, cooked quinoa

Time to fill your peppers o yeah and top them with cheeeese!

Bake for about 10 min

While you wait..attempt to take a picture of your lovely handmade apron, when that doesn't work well recruit your other half to help you out..even if they huff and puff:))

OK now they are done!! Amazing how a mini photo shoot will pass the time!

Enjoy!
Happy Cooking!
Love, T

ps. watch out for hungry kitties swarming below you..waiting for a treat:)
please o please..

really? you're gonna lick your lips..

poor kitty he thinks he's starving, looks pretty well-fed to me:)



No comments:

Post a Comment