Thursday, April 28, 2011

13.1!

This Saturday I am running in the Derby Half Marathon in Louisville, KY.  I love running in organized races because I am surrounded by other running fools!  There is something strange about thousands of people running and running and running.  Strange yet wonderful because most of the time races raise money for a good cause.  The test of personal will power and endurance is something that simply must be experienced because me trying to explain the roller coaster of emotions I roll through in a long race is pointless.  The feeling of crossing the finish line after the struggle is simply wonderful.  Who knows my next post may be me reliving the entire race, haha. I'm super excited because Johnny is going to cheer me on, this will be the first time he has ever watched me run :) Well I'm pretty much packed and ready to go! Wish me luck!!



My friend Kelly, who I mentioned in my prior post, posted a homemade protein bar recipe on her fan page so I made a few adjustments and made some of my own!
You will need:
2 1/2 cups old fash­ioned oats
1 scoop Beach­body Choco­late pro­tein pow­der (I used a choc protein mix I already had)
2 TBSP Nat­u­rally More peanut but­ter
3 large egg whites
2 medium bananas, mashed
1 TBSP honey
7 TBSP almond milk (I used light choc soy milk)
1 tsp cinnamon
Instruc­tions:
Pre­heat your oven for 5 min­utes at 350.
Mix the oats, the whey and the cinnamon.
Add the peanut but­ter and stir in thoroughly.
Add the egg whites, mashed bananas and the honey.
Add the almond milk slowly, while mix­ing thoroughly.
Spoon the mix­ture into a greased lined cake tin and level with a knife.
Place in oven and bake for 15 min­utes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before cut­ting to reduce stickiness.
Cut into 8 bars.
Nutri­tional Info: Calo­ries: 154 Pro­tein: 10g; Car­bo­hy­drates: 21g Fat: 4g


I put 1/2 in the freezer for future use! Another tip, spray your knife with cooking spray to prevent sticking!!
Happy Running!
Love, T
  

1 comment:

  1. MMM I might have to try those bars, they sound delish! I'm a chocolate peanut butter oatmeal kinda gal for sure. Good luck at the Derby Half!

    ReplyDelete